Gluten Free through Germany
Frequently asked questions
Here are a few questions that are often asked. Please feel free to ask any further questions on the Contact Us page or on our Facebook page!
- Where does the data come from?
- All data on GF Germany is collected by its users. Anyone can add, edit, or delete entries. To give GF Germany a starting point, some data from the German celiacs forum was inserted (thank you!), therefore many entries have a comment saying "Zöliakie-Treff" and giving a link back to the original site.
- Who checks all the entries for correctness?
- The community does. The more people participate, the better all the locations can be checked. No single person could ever check all the locations for himself, so the community is responsible as a whole. By rating the locations or writing reviews, any user gets an image of each location.
- What's the difference to GlutenfreeRoads.com?
- This is not commercial. It is not made by a big company, but by an individual celiac... :)
Also, we don't want your home address or anything personal when you register.
Plus, we have the simple like-feature!
- What's the difference to all the lists of gluten free locations?
- Exactly that. Those are all lists. GF Germany is no list. It has all locations saved with their positions on the map, so that it is much easier to find them.
Additionally, it is much easier to keep all entries up to date as anyone can always rate the locations or write a review.
- What are those stars and points about?
- All users gain points by adding locations and writing reviews. The more active a user is, the more points he will receive. The stars (grey, yellow, green, turquoise, blue, purple, red, orange) then represent the user's points. The points are recalculated once daily.
- How do I add a new entry?
- Please have a look at the tutorial.
- A restaurant needs to be removed because it has been closed. What can I do?
- Just click the link this location has to be removed from the database! on the restaurant's detail page and select the correct option. Our administrators then will be notified and will remove the entry as quickly as possible.
- A restaurant needs to be removed because I have made a bad experience regarding gluten free food there. What can I do?
- First of all, please vote the entry Thumbs down! and leave a review. You also have the option to vote for the entry to be removed from the database via the link in the detail view. As soon as three users have reported the entry as such, it will automatically be removed.
- A gluten free place's marker is placed at the wrong spot on the map. How can I change that?
- In the place's detail view, click on edit the location on the map, then, below the map, click on select new location on the map, then click on the correct spot on the map, and finally click the button save selected new location.
- Are there any costs when I use GF Germany?
- No! GF Germany is free for both all our users and the owners of all restaurants and shops listed on the website.
- Who is GF Germany?
- Actually behind the website it's only me: Sebastian Lukas, studying electrical engineering at Aachen, Germany. I have celiac disease since I've been three years young. I do all the programming and currently maintain the website. I am responsible for all the email contact with restaurant and shop owners. On the website, I am CanadaSeb. Of course I am not completely responsible for all the entries listed on the website. They are collected by all our users.
- Who pays for the website?
- Everyone involved with GF Germany is working voluntarily. However, there are some, yet low, cost for the webspace and the domain. For the future we think about offering a possibility to donate or maybe show well-related advertising.